Today I thought I would introduce one of my favourite artists at the moment, Manjit Thapp. Manjit was kind enough to let me ask her a few questions about her history and relationship towards art and her illustrations. Enjoy x
1. Hello Manjit, welcome to thegretaedit! Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Hi! My name is Manjit Thapp, I’m 22 years old, I live in the UK and I’m a freelance illustrator!
2. The most interesting experience that has happened because of being an artist?
I got invited to a breakfast last year that was hosted by instagram and got to meet lots of amazing illustrators and some lovely people from the instagram team. It was a really great experience!
3. Describe your art style.
My work features these strong female characters. I love having a narrative element in my work and like to leave a lot of the meaning open to interpretation but will sometimes include certain symbolic icons that act as clues.
4. Do you ever get artist block? if so, how do you cope with it?
Always! I’ll take a break from it for a bit or I’ll listen to music which helps. I also keep a folder on my desktop that acts as a moodboard.
5. who / what inspires you?
All the artists I follow on instagram! It’s so motivating and inspiring to see everyones work and all the exciting things they’re working on.
6. 5 facts about you.
- My favourite colour is constantly changing.
- I’ve never been able to finish a sketchbook.
- I graduated from university last summer.
- I’m right handed.
- Lately I feel more motivated to do work in the night than during the day.
7. what is the hardest thing about being an artist?
For me it probably is when I do get artist block, it can be frustrating.
8. When did you know you wanted to be an artist/illustrator? what made you keep going?
Probably in my final year of high school when I had to decide what I wanted to do for university! What made me keep going was my great love for art and how it’s the only thing I’m good at!
9. Any advice for budding artists, or people that want to pursue art as a career?
Don’t worry too much about finding your own style, it’s not a definitive thing and will always be changing! Also draw as much as you can!
A huge huge thankyou to Manjit for letting me interview you, keep on doing what your doing gal !
you can find Manjit here :
instagram / https://www.instagram.com/manjitthapp/?hl=en
website / https://shop.manjitthapp.co.uk/
portfolio / http://www.manjitthapp.co.uk/
(disclaimer; all work and illustrations are © Manjit Thapp 2016 )